[Xastir] Screen Size

Curt, WE7U archer at eskimo.com
Mon May 17 12:40:52 EDT 2004

On Thu, 6 May 2004, Henk de Groot wrote:

> Hello,
>
> At 08:55 5-5-2004 -0700, Curt, WE7U wrote:
> >To try to get the dialogs to fit something that small would be a
> >tremendous amount of work.  To get them to 640x480 is more
> >reasonable at the present time.  I have a personal interest in
> >getting it to 640x480 as I have a device which runs that.
>
> Would it be possible to put the dialogs in a resizable container? That way
> all the buttons and fields can be reached via scroll-bars. Not very nice
> maybe but at least workable for any size screen. Maybe it can be even be
> done so that the resizable container is not visible if the dialog fits on
> screen, so if the screen is big enough you will not notice the change.

This seems workable.  We might even be able to do the hiding of the
scrollbars if there's enough room for the window.  I feel that this
would be quite ugly, but it would definitely solve the problem.  It
would really only be ugly on the small-display system, and for the
coder who has to implement it!

> I also have a laptop with a 640x480 grey-scale screen, I run X windows
> (XFree86 3.3.5,) with a virtual screen configuration of 788x640 (the C&T
> chipset has some atrifacts, 788 is the experimental limit, hence the
> strange number :-) and 640 proved to give enough height for most
> applications). That's maybe another possibility. Xastir can be resized such
> way that the map fills the screen while the menu and status bar fall off
> the visual screen to utillize the screen maximal for map data.

We could also start a small app that just had the menus and perhaps
the status bar, then have the map area be a separate window.  That
might be a lot of work to convert over though, as darn-near
everything wants to write to the drawing area window, and its
exact relation to the main app is assumed everywhere.