[Xastir] Xastir up and running!

KK6RW kk6rw at kk6rw.com
Wed Nov 10 04:08:50 EST 2004

Hello all,

    After many months of trying to install and run Xastir on a Windows XP
box using Cygwin, I am now pleased to say I have finally succeeded in
getting Xastir up and running. I'm very pleased and want to thank all those
who have helped with suggestions, explanations and help. The only small
problem was trying to use the PNG snapshots. My system would go into 100%
CPU use when I enable it. I found the culprit to be the convert.exe file in
cygwin/bin. It seems the M$ NTFS convert file was being called instead. A
quick change to system environment path and all was well.

    I'm running Xastir with the online tiger maps and topomaps. I'm ready
now to tackle some of the other map formats. I'm hoping I can get the
correct libraries loaded and running properly.

    One function I would like to get working is an autostart of Xastir upon
restart of the OS. I have tried batch files to no avail. Can anyone suggest
ad way to start Xastir under Cygwin on a Windows XP pro box?

    Again, my thanks to all for your support and encouragement. Xastir is a
fun and powerful program.

73,

Randy , KK6RW
http://northwest.aprs2.net