[Xastir] (no subject)

Rick Green rtg at aapsc.com
Fri Nov 12 13:19:28 EST 2004

On Fri, 12 Nov 2004 jeff at aerodata.net wrote:

> > On Fri, 12 Nov 2004, Curt, WE7U wrote:
>
> >   Actually, a thread here a month or so ago, describing mepis linux and an
> > apt repository with a pre-compiled binary of xastir, went a long way
> > towards making it accessable to the appliance operator.
>
> MEPIS is great. It was the only distro that would run out of the box on my
> MINI-ITX system.
>
> > If they see me struggling in front of their computer for
> > three hours just to get the system installed and running, they don't have
> > a warm fuzzy about using it themselves once I'm gone.
>
> Your more right then you think. I got in a serious arguement with Bill D.
> on the APRS-SIG about Linux and how hard it was to install. I claimed in
> most cases it was easier to install then Windows 2000. He violently
> disagreed with me. And the basis for it? He saw you and Jay trying to
> compile XASTIR at the motel in Dayton this year... (not kidding!).
  Actually, it was just me, trying to compile it on my laptop with an old
SuSE 8.0 install, and no development tools, and an abysmally slow internet
connection.  Once I got home to the cablemodem, I got past the initial
-devel maze quickly.  And the whole process had started because that same
Bill D.  told me that xastir exists and runs on linux.  He's such a
proponent of APRS that I had to try it immediately!  The same Bill D. is
the elmer that patiently answered my questions over the next several
months about map sources, internet feeds, javaprs filter specs, etc.

Thanks Bill!

--
Rick Green

                                  -Benjamin Franklin