[Xastir] (no subject)

Rick Green rtg at aapsc.com
Fri Nov 12 14:35:49 EST 2004

On Fri, 12 Nov 2004, William McKeehan wrote:

> Just at thought - I love the idea of going modular; I would really like to
> have multiple map windows open with various maps/zoom levels.
  Actually, you can do that now.  Since August(?), xastir has supported a
'server port' to which other xastir instances can connect.  Run a 'master'
xastir with the TNCs, etc. and a server port.  Run other xaster instances
with just a single 'internet interface' pointing to the master instance.

I've done this, from multiple computers around the house.  Question for
Curt: Is there a way to have multiple config files, so that multiple
instances can be run by a single user on a single machine?  I think
currently they'd all be looking at ~/.xastir/ for their configs.

It would certainly be more efficient if there were a lightweight 'viewer'
client that did nothing but connect to an internet server and display the
data on a map.  That might be a good 'entry level' program for someone
curious about APRS to start with...

I've also heard about aprsd, but haven't investigated it.  I seem to
recall that it supports TNC and GPS interfaces, and provides an internet
feed.  So maybe that's another piece of the modular implementation that's
already out there.

--
Rick Green

                                  -Benjamin Franklin