[Xastir] Application has failed because libICE.dll was not found. Re-installing the app may fix problem

Curt Mills archer at eskimo.com
Sat Nov 27 12:04:53 EST 2004

On Fri, 26 Nov 2004, N7YGE wrote:

> I just updated cygwin and then ran the update-xastir.  The xastir update did
> not completely finish and got hung up where the id.exe file ran to over
> 190,000,000k and wanted more virtual memory.
>
> If I try to run xastir I get the subject error message.  What creates the
> libICE.dll file??  This may be the clue I need.

It's installed on my Linux system in /usr/X11R6/lib/, so it's an X11
library of some type.  I see that on Linux it gets called out at the
final link stage of creating the executable, so it's used on Linux
as well.

Doing "strings" on the library I see that malloc/strlen/strcpy/free
are all defined in there.  I'm not sure why that particular library
gets compiled in though.  Might have to do with my choice of window
manager, might not.

By any chance did you deselect any packages that were selected on
Cygwin before, when you did your Cygwin update?  If so, that was a
bad idea.  Many packages are auto-selected when you click on the
ones listed in README.win32, and you don't want to de-select those
additional ones.

You might be able to go back into setup.exe and select anything
called icelib, libice, libice-devel, icelib-devel, stuff like that,
and get it going again.  Sounds like you either experienced some
currupted files or some missing packages.

--
Curt, WE7U.				archer at eskimo dot com
http://www.eskimo.com/~archer