[Xastir] Help! I'm stuck in usradar.geo and can't get out!

Rick Green rtg at aapsc.com
Sun Oct 3 08:41:59 EDT 2004

After reading the discussion this past week on the usradar and terraserver
maps, I decided to give them a try.  While pretty, I find them too
cluttered for general use, so I'm going back to the pocketaprs map that I
was using before.  But xastir won't let me!

FIrst, a comment on terraserver:  Terraserver apparently doesn't have any
images for my location.  If I zoom in on a location about twenty miles
east of home, it gives me an image, but if I pan left or zoom out to a
view that includes any part of the missing area, the layer goes blank
entirely, not just the western portion that's missing.  With both the
pocketaprs maps, and usradar.geo, I can zoom out and get a view that
includes the layer on part of the screen.

As others have reported, the selection of usradar.geo seems to slow down
my machine considerably  (albeit it's an old machine: AMD K6-2/450 with
128M ram).  Since today is a clear day over the entire state, I decided to
save all those wasted CPU cycles, and deselected USRADAR.GEO, but it won't
go away!  I even went so far as to stop xastir and restart it, but it
promply went into a wait state while it loaded usradar.geo again.  WHen it
finally began responding to the cursor, I brought up the map chooser, and
sure enough, USRADAR.GEO was deselected.

I just tried something else:  I re-selected usradar, then brought up the
properties dialog, and erased all values associated with usradar.  Close
the properties dialog, deselect usradar in the chooser, and press OK.  The
first message that appeared in the status window is 'Loading Usradar.geo'
ARGHHH!

--
Rick Green

                                  -Benjamin Franklin