[Xastir] Map creation help

Curt Mills archer at eskimo.com
Thu Oct 21 20:40:48 EDT 2004

On Thu, 21 Oct 2004, John Ronan wrote:

> I've got a .tif file for a map that I know the edge co-ordinates for.
> How in gods name do I get this to display?  It might be that I've had a
> long day but I'm just not getting it (its 22:30 here).
>
> I have the .tif and I created an accompanying .fgd file.  with a WEST
> BOUNDING COORDINATE etc etc. I've been googling for a while trying to
> find an answer to my question and I'm getting nowhere fast. It took me
> long enough to figure out how to convert from the Irish Grid System.

If it's a TIFF file and not a geoTIFF file, then you're going about
it in the wrong way.  Instead of creating a .fgd file to go with it,
use ImageMagick instead and create a .GEO file to go with it.  You
just need a couple of tiepoints.  You can use "identify -ping
filename" to find out the size of the file in pixels.

--
Curt, WE7U.				archer at eskimo dot com
http://www.eskimo.com/~archer