[Xastir] Map creation help

John Ronan jronan at tssg.org
Fri Oct 22 03:39:16 EDT 2004

On 22 Oct 2004, at 01:40, Curt Mills wrote:

> On Thu, 21 Oct 2004, John Ronan wrote:
>
>> I've got a .tif file for a map that I know the edge co-ordinates for.
>> How in gods name do I get this to display?  It might be that I've had
>> long day but I'm just not getting it (its 22:30 here).
>>
>> I have the .tif and I created an accompanying .fgd file.  with a WEST
>> BOUNDING COORDINATE etc etc. I've been googling for a while trying to
>> find an answer to my question and I'm getting nowhere fast. It took me
>> long enough to figure out how to convert from the Irish Grid System.
>
> If it's a TIFF file and not a geoTIFF file, then you're going about
> it in the wrong way.  Instead of creating a .fgd file to go with it,
Well theres a surprise :).. I've just read my email after a nights
sleep and I'm surprised anyone replied, it is a bit incoherent
> use ImageMagick instead and create a .GEO file to go with it.  You
> just need a couple of tiepoints.  You can use "identify -ping
> filename" to find out the size of the file in pixels.
That returns
4724x4724+0+0 PsuedoClass 256c 8 bit  2.1m 0.990u 0:02

heh.. now its in the wrong place.. :)  thats better than I had last
night.

Thanking you kindly sir!

John

--