[Xastir] New England feed down?

Tom Russo russo at bogodyn.org
Tue Apr 12 11:37:00 EDT 2005

On Tue, Apr 12, 2005 at 09:09:33AM -0600, we recorded a bogon-computron collision of the <wm5z at comcast.net> flavor, containing:

> All of this thread brings up a question in my mind. The default setup
> instructions for Xastir say to set up the "interface port" to firenet.us
> port 2023. Should I be using a different feed?
>
> New User WM5Z/Steve

Unless you have a fat pipe and a beefy machine, I wouldn't use firenet.us:2023
---  your display will be a sea of blue (all the wx and water gauges), and
your connection will be busy full time.  I use a filtered port.

My current internet-based setup uses arizona.aprs2.net:14580 for most things,
and firenet.us:14580 for the rest, both with range filters in place
('r/35/-106/500' --- for 500km around 35dN/106dW).

HTH,
T.

Tijeras, NM  QRPL#1592 K2#398  SOC#236 AHTB#1
 "The only thing you can do easily is be wrong, and that's hardly
  worth the effort." -- Norton Juster