[Xastir] aprs data in a database

Jeff Barlow Jeff at WB6CSV.net
Tue Apr 19 13:43:34 EDT 2005

"Curt, WE7U" <archer at eskimo.com>  wrote:

>...plus it doesn't allow porting to some platforms that use Qt
>or Qtopia only, with no other graphical system, like a Sharp Zaurus
>PDA or other small devices.

I don't get this. If those things will run Linux and X (which is
my understanding), why would it matter what GUI toolkit you run
on top? What am I missing, here?

In any case, this sounds like a very minor consideration given
the small number of Xastir users who are likely have those
things. (Unless, of course, you were planning to do this all by
yourself)

>To be fair, I'd also rather stick to open-source stuff...

To me, this is the big issue. Trolltech seems to change their
licensing with the seasons. Getting locked in to such a platform
strikes me as pretty risky.

Some of the other minor GUI toolkits carry the risk that support
may vanish altogether since those projects are not well funded or
staffed. GTK+, OTOH, underlies the Gnome project to which both
Red Hat and Novell are heavily committed. This is about as close
to guaranteed stability as you get in the world of free software.

--
Jeff Barlow
WB6CSV