[Xastir] aprs data in a database

Curt, WE7U archer at eskimo.com
Tue Apr 19 13:52:45 EDT 2005

On Tue, 19 Apr 2005, Jeff Barlow wrote:

> "Curt, WE7U" <archer at eskimo.com>  wrote:
>
> >...plus it doesn't allow porting to some platforms that use Qt
> >or Qtopia only, with no other graphical system, like a Sharp Zaurus
> >PDA or other small devices.
>
> I don't get this. If those things will run Linux and X (which is
> my understanding), why would it matter what GUI toolkit you run
> on top? What am I missing, here?

No X11.  Just Qt.

> In any case, this sounds like a very minor consideration given
> the small number of Xastir users who are likely have those
> things. (Unless, of course, you were planning to do this all by
> yourself)

My eyes are bigger than my stomach at dinner time too...

Wouldn't you imagine that we might get a bunch of PDA Xastir users
if it were ported to that platform?  I know I'd try to get a Zaurus
in that case.  Pocket Xastir would be the ultimate!  Ok, not the
ultimate, but pretty darned cool.

> >To be fair, I'd also rather stick to open-source stuff...
>
> To me, this is the big issue. Trolltech seems to change their
> licensing with the seasons. Getting locked in to such a platform
> strikes me as pretty risky.
>
> Some of the other minor GUI toolkits carry the risk that support
> may vanish altogether since those projects are not well funded or
> staffed. GTK+, OTOH, underlies the Gnome project to which both
> Red Hat and Novell are heavily committed. This is about as close
> to guaranteed stability as you get in the world of free software.

Understand.  That last message about Qt being released under BSD
license if the company tries to do something strange with it or goes
under means a lot too.  It's nice to see that people are thinking
ahead.