[Xastir] Basic Maps for Xastir

Curt, WE7U archer at eskimo.com
Wed Feb 23 10:45:16 EST 2005

On Tue, 22 Feb 2005, Gerry Creager N5JXS wrote:

> It'd take a LOT.  Most use a proprietary format and require some form of
> non-disclosure and closed source work to happen.  None of them do a
> stellar job keeping up with real changes in local mapping, either.  They
> DO have a pretty presentation, but that's just a dbfawk session or 2
> away now in xastir.

One big advantage with those commercial systems is that you get all
of the maps in one place, they're easily accessible on CD's, and the
presentation is already done for you.

If we can get to where the Tigermaps can be as easily installed
locally and have the Online Tigermaps automatically come up with no
extra configuration, then people won't be asking for the commercial
mapping integration so much.

Another thing in addition to what Gerry said:  Commercial mapping
products generally run counter to our open-source philosophy.  We're
trying to use freely available map sources in all cases.  At least
that's what I've been trying to do, I can't speak for the others.