[Xastir] Basic Maps for Xastir

Curt, WE7U archer at eskimo.com
Wed Feb 23 10:48:00 EST 2005

On Wed, 23 Feb 2005, Dan Brown wrote:

> On Tue, 22 Feb 2005, Gerry Creager N5JXS wrote:
>
> > It'd take a LOT.  Most use a proprietary format and require some form of
> > non-disclosure and closed source work to happen.  None of them do a
> > stellar job keeping up with real changes in local mapping, either.  They
> > DO have a pretty presentation, but that's just a dbfawk session or 2
> > away now in xastir.
>
> I will say this - Precision Mapping seems to be willing to work with the
> APRS folks - UI-View supports it, and WinAPRS does now too.  Last I
> emailed UnderTow, though, they didn't have any plans to support any
> platforms other than Windows.

Most of these commercial programs that provide details via
non-disclosure have a set of DLL's that give you an API
(applications programming interface) you're supposed to use.  They
don't expect nor want anyone using their map data directly,
particularly with open-source software, as then anyone can come
along and do the same and use their map data without paying for it.

Once their encryption/file-format is in open-source software, all is
lost as far as they're concerned.  If I were them I'd be worried
about the same thing, as that's their livelihood.