[Xastir] GNIS Labels ?

Tom Russo russo at bogodyn.org
Sat Jan 1 15:17:06 EST 2005

On Sat, Jan 01, 2005 at 11:42:25AM -0800, we recorded a bogon-computron collision of the <archer at eskimo.com> flavor, containing:
> On Sat, 1 Jan 2005, William McKeehan wrote:
>
> > OK, my modification is simple enough that I can continue to make it myself
> > when the map_gnis.c file is updated.
> >
> > I do agree that it would be nice to have the filter settings in a user
> > configurable file, but that is a little above my programming skills in C at
> > the moment.
>
> What would be better would be a general system for
> defining/modifying such parameters that would work for ALL vector
> map types, and of course a subset of these parameters for the raster
> map types.
>
> We've put off some of these types of things, assuming that we'd get
> started on a new architecture at some point.  A new architecture
> would allow us to add a bunch of new features that we've wanted for
> a very long time, like separate modules/daemons for data storage,
> handling interfaces, and user interfaces.  This would allow us to
> have multiple map displays, modules distributed across different
> computer systems, persistent data, lots of cool things.

Nod.  It seems that most of the nicest features that are on the horizon
really requires a major refactor or complete rewrite to get the code in a
state where adding such things is elegant rather than something more like
adding epicycles inside epicycles.

A rewrite (perhaps in C++?  Please?) with a different X toolkit (Qt?) would
be a worthy project, and if done carefully could allow much simpler
extensibility.

> One of these days we'll have to get the ball rolling on that.  I've
> been holding off bringing it up until I had more time and Xastir was
> more stable.  It's certainly in the stable category now, at least in
> my experience.  Time is another matter.

Yep.  I can retire in about 15 years, I think... should have plenty of time
by then.

Tijeras, NM  QRPL#1592 K2#398  SOC#236 AHTB#1 http://www.qsl.net/~km5vy/
 "When life gives you lemons, find someone with a paper cut."