[Xastir] GNIS Labels ?

Curt Mills archer at eskimo.com
Sat Jan 1 17:47:51 EST 2005

On Sat, 1 Jan 2005, Tom Russo wrote:

> Nod.  It seems that most of the nicest features that are on the horizon
> really requires a major refactor or complete rewrite to get the code in a
> state where adding such things is elegant rather than something more like
> adding epicycles inside epicycles.
>
> A rewrite (perhaps in C++?  Please?) with a different X toolkit (Qt?) would
> be a worthy project, and if done carefully could allow much simpler
> extensibility.

I proposed that we switch to an object-oriented language several
years ago and it fell on deaf ears.  Since then I've been honing my
C skills.  I think I proposed Java last time.  I haven't done much
C++, but I wouldn't be against it.  Nearly any object-oriented
language would be better than what we're using now.

As far as cross-platform GUI toolkits, the current choices would be
Java, Gtk, Qt, or WxWidgets (or whatever they're calling it now).
I've hacked on one small program with WxWidgets to date, plus some
standalone Java stuff.  Haven't done Gtk or Qt, but I know they are
in heavy development and popular, so might be good choices.

Isn't there still a licensing fee associated with Qt on the Windows
platform?  If so, is that a per program license, or a license for
the platform that the client would only have to pay once per house
or machine?

Any other licensing issues for any of these?  Other cross-platform
GUI sets we should consider?  Anyone with direct experience using
any of these API's?

--
Curt, WE7U.				archer at eskimo dot com
http://www.eskimo.com/~archer