[Xastir] GNIS Labels ?

Tom Russo russo at bogodyn.org
Sat Jan 1 18:18:44 EST 2005

On Sat, Jan 01, 2005 at 02:47:51PM -0800, we recorded a bogon-computron collision of the <archer at eskimo.com> flavor, containing:
> On Sat, 1 Jan 2005, Tom Russo wrote:
> As far as cross-platform GUI toolkits, the current choices would be
> Java, Gtk, Qt, or WxWidgets (or whatever they're calling it now).
> I've hacked on one small program with WxWidgets to date, plus some
> standalone Java stuff.  Haven't done Gtk or Qt, but I know they are
> in heavy development and popular, so might be good choices.
>
> Isn't there still a licensing fee associated with Qt on the Windows
> platform?  If so, is that a per program license, or a license for
> the platform that the client would only have to pay once per house
> or machine?

There's a licensing fee for the native windows Qt, but the source version
for X11 is free.  AFAIK the windows license is a license for the libraries and
gui builder.

If one were to build Qt for X11 under Cygwin I don't think there's any
licensing issue.  Unfortunately there's no cygwin package for Qt already,
so perhaps there *is* a problem with it.  Or nobody's bothered to make the
cygwin package.

> Any other licensing issues for any of these?  Other cross-platform
> GUI sets we should consider?  Anyone with direct experience using
> any of these API's?

I have only toyed with Qt --- in the sense that I installed it, ran through
a tutorial and generated a simple app, and own the book that the authors
recommend for folks who want to work with it.  it has a pretty cool GUI
builder tool that you use to generate the code for your UI components, and
hook your code into that.  It seems a great deal easier to deal with than
others I've looked into.

Tijeras, NM  QRPL#1592 K2#398  SOC#236 AHTB#1 http://www.qsl.net/~km5vy/
 "When life gives you lemons, find someone with a paper cut."