[Xastir] GNIS Labels ?

Curt Mills archer at eskimo.com
Sat Jan 1 20:41:03 EST 2005

On Sat, 1 Jan 2005, Tom Russo wrote:

> There's a licensing fee for the native windows Qt, but the source version
> for X11 is free.  AFAIK the windows license is a license for the libraries and
> gui builder.

Ok, any of the development team would have to pay if they wanted to
change the GUI, and every single Windows user would have to pay as
well?

> I have only toyed with Qt --- in the sense that I installed it, ran through
> a tutorial and generated a simple app, and own the book that the authors
> recommend for folks who want to work with it.  it has a pretty cool GUI
> builder tool that you use to generate the code for your UI components, and
> hook your code into that.  It seems a great deal easier to deal with than
> others I've looked into.

We've discussed in the past the option of splitting up the existing
code so that we had a data storage piece (eventually turning into an
SQL database perhaps?), a long-running daemon that talked to the
interfaces/data storage, and multiple user interface pieces.
Something like:

CORE:
-----
    xastird (interface daemon)
        xastird-config (GUI or text)

    xastirDS (data store daemon)
        xastirDS-config (GUI or text)
        xastirDS-map-import (GUI or text)
        xastirDS-map-export (GUI or text)

CLIENTS:
--------
    xastirMsg (GUI or text) bulletins, messages, group messages
    xastirMap (GUI)

If only the client programs needed to have compiled GUI's and the
core daemons and config programs could get by with text or perhaps
Perl/Tk config programs, we could bypass the licensing issues,
letting the individual client authors tackle those.  In fact, more
than one type of each client could be created, taking advantage of
whatever widget sets are better for each environment.

I think that's a rough summary of what we've discussed in the past.

--
Curt, WE7U.				archer at eskimo dot com
http://www.eskimo.com/~archer