[Xastir] SDTS to shapefile conversion?

Curt, WE7U archer at eskimo.com
Mon Jan 3 15:27:59 EST 2005

On Mon, 3 Jan 2005, Gerry Creager n5jxs wrote:

> Fort those of you who followed the APRS Sig thread about Tiger
> inaccuracies a couple of weeks or months ago, this is a significant
> deal.  I may want to snag the shapefiles; I'll get ahold of the player
> in NYC who was so concerned about the TigerLine files.  This should make
> him happier.
>
> One caveat: It is my understanding from our USGS State Mapping
> Coordinator that not all of the SDTS coverages have been appropriately
> reprojected to NAD83.

I think the OGR code as used by Xastir will auto-convert, but you're
saying that for OGR2OGR you'd perhaps have to have it do a datum
translation as well as a file translation, in order to come out with
Shapefiles that were in WGS84 or NAD83, right?

I'm basing my statement about Xastir/OGR doing the auto-translation
on the fact that it does this with Shapefiles just fine, as long as
they have a .prj file with them that OGR can recognize.  I've used
state-plane coordinate system NAD27 shapefiles under OGR and it
works.