[Xastir] hit and run packet

Curt Mills archer at eskimo.com
Thu Jan 13 08:18:41 EST 2005

On Thu, 13 Jan 2005, Wes Johnston wrote:

> wouldn't you end up with loads of open dialog boxes that said "hard fail"....
> they stack up bad enough at 2mins a pop.

Methinks you haven't run configure in a while, or perhaps  you
aren't running the latest snapshot or the CVS version.  The default
is for most of those old popups to go to STDERR now.  Only a few
(that really are more important) still go to popups.

> You have a point though... if my local IGATE (kc4pl) were to shorten his dump on
> connect time to say, 10 minutes, I'd stay caught up as I travelled from one
> hotspot to the next.
>
> Other than the 2 minute retry, is there any way for xastir to know that eth0's
> IP address has failed? or has been reinitiated?  Can it trigger someway off of
> a hook in a sucessful DHCP assignment?  In other words, if I unplug my cat 5
> cable, eth0 fails.  Could xastir know that DHCP requested a new IP sucessfully
> when the cable was reinserted?

I'm sure something could be worked out if it was truly useful to do
so.  We'd have to talk about what might be the best implementation.
We have a way to take snapshots via a signal.  Perhaps another
signal could be used to tell Xastir to retry the network connection,
then some external stimulus could cause that to happen when the
network was up.

--
Curt, WE7U.				archer at eskimo dot com
http://www.eskimo.com/~archer