[Xastir] xastir cpu

Curt Mills archer at eskimo.com
Fri Jan 14 17:24:56 EST 2005

On Fri, 14 Jan 2005, ke4lkq wrote:

> This second instance of xastir clearly slows down over just an hour or 2.  Cpu
> usage goes up in spurts to over 35% - 85%  as viewed with TOP with 30 sec
> interval. The longer it runs the larger the cpu numbers and the less
> responsive this instance become in redrawing screen and drop down menus
> command, the whole nine yards of functionality slow to a crawl.

I think I already provided some data that showed where the problem
is.  It has to do with the large number of weather alerts we get
during the storm season.

Sorry that you can't get the profiling working.  With a bit of luck
you might get that working yet.

I plan to look at this problem soon if someone else doesn't beat me
to it.

> Clearly there are issues with xastir handling the internet data.

No, it's problems with lots of weather alerts.  The algorithm for
comparing new packets with old weather alerts is inefficient.  Try
connecting up to a filtered port and skip the weather alerts.  You
should see few slowdowns that way.

--
Curt, WE7U.				archer at eskimo dot com
http://www.eskimo.com/~archer