[Xastir] Shapelib & Cygwin

Dan Brown brown at brauhaus.org
Wed Jun 1 20:05:02 EDT 2005

On Wed, 1 Jun 2005, Steve Friis wrote:

> OK, so I did make the directory, ran the script and that worked ok it
> seems.
> Then I redid the "./configure" and make and "make install. All seemed to
> run without a hitch. However when I now run "xastir &" it breaks. It use
> to run before only without shapelib. The error message says"
>
> [steve at Laptop ~]$ xastir &
> [1] 9573
> xastir: error while loading shared libraries: libshp.so.1: cannot open
> [steve at Laptop ~]$
>
> I did a file search and it tells me "link broken" under type, but the
> file is there.
>
> I really would appreciate your help fixing this. I would really miss not
> having xastir work onthe laptop. I am really new to linux, so don't
> understand all the workings of this OS.

Without a bit more information, I'm going to be kinda guessing.

First, Which version of linux?

It sorta sounds like shapelib didn't actually get installed, for whatever
reason, though, if Xastir thought it found it, something may need to be
fixed someplace.

Couple things to look at... First do:

cat /etc/ld.so.config

and make sure it includes "/usr/local/lib" and a few other directories.
Mine looks like:

myhost.org:~$ cat /etc/ld.so.conf

/usr/kerberos/lib
/usr/X11R6/lib
/usr/lib/sane
/usr/lib/qt-3.1/lib
/usr/lib
/usr/local/lib

Then, do:

sudo ldconfig

and see if that says anything. If you want, you can do:

sudo ldconfig -v

and it will spit out a bunch of stuff - look for libshp in the output.

next try:

ldd /usr/local/bin/xastir |grep libshp

it should tell you something like:

myhost.org:~$ ldd /usr/local/bin/xastir |grep libshp
        libshp.so.1 => /usr/local/lib/libshp.so.1 (0x40a32000)

then:

myhost.org:~$ ls -l /usr/local/lib/libshp.so.1
lrwxrwxrwx    1 root     root           15 Feb 27 15:11 /usr/local/lib/libshp.so.1 -> libshp.so.1.0.1*

finally:

myhost.org:~$ ls -l /usr/local/lib/libshp.so.1.0.1
-rwxr-xr-x    1 root     root        74276 Feb 27 15:11 /usr/local/lib/libshp.so.1.0.1*

If something like that last file isn't there, then shapelib probably didn't
get built or installed correctly.  I'd probably try re-running the script
and watching the output to see if that gives you any clues.  You can also
read through the script to see what it is doing - there isn't too much
there that is complicated.  Finally, if you look under
xastir/tmp/shapelib-1.2.10 you'll see a README and a Makefile there - they
should have some good information about building and installing shapelib.

Finally, if none of this works, you can compile xastir without shapelib by
giving configure the option:

 --without-shapelib

See the README.Getting-Started for more information on configure options.

Hope this helps.

73,
N8YSZ.

--