[Xastir] Shapelib & Cygwin

Steve Friis wm5z at comcast.net
Thu Jun 2 02:11:31 EDT 2005

Dan Brown wrote:

>On Wed, 1 Jun 2005, Steve Friis wrote:
>

>>OK, so I did make the directory, ran the script and that worked ok it
>>seems.
>>Then I redid the "./configure" and make and "make install. All seemed to
>>run without a hitch. However when I now run "xastir &" it breaks. It use
>>to run before only without shapelib. The error message says"
>>
>>[steve at Laptop ~]$ xastir &
>>[1] 9573
>>xastir: error while loading shared libraries: libshp.so.1: cannot open
>>shared object file: No such file or directory
>>[steve at Laptop ~]$
>>
>>I did a file search and it tells me "link broken" under type, but the
>>file is there.
>>
>>I really would appreciate your help fixing this. I would really miss not
>>having xastir work onthe laptop. I am really new to linux, so don't
>>understand all the workings of this OS.
>>

>Without a bit more information, I'm going to be kinda guessing.
>
>First, Which version of linux?

Fedora 3

>It sorta sounds like shapelib didn't actually get installed, for whatever
>reason, though, if Xastir thought it found it, something may need to be
>fixed someplace.
>
>Couple things to look at... First do:
>
>cat /etc/ld.so.config

[root at Laptop steve]# cat /etc/ld.so.config
cat: /etc/ld.so.config: No such file or directory

>and make sure it includes "/usr/local/lib" and a few other directories.
>Mine looks like:
>
>myhost.org:~$ cat /etc/ld.so.conf
>
>/usr/kerberos/lib
>/usr/X11R6/lib
>/usr/lib/sane
>/usr/lib/qt-3.1/lib
>/usr/lib
>/usr/local/lib
>
>Then, do:
>
>sudo ldconfig
>
>and see if that says anything.

[root at Laptop steve]# sudo ldconfig
sudo: ldconfig: command not found

>If you want, you can do:
>
>sudo ldconfig -v
>
>and it will spit out a bunch of stuff - look for libshp in the output.
>
>next try:
>
>ldd /usr/local/bin/xastir |grep libshp

[root at Laptop steve]# ldd /usr/local/bin/xastir |grep libshp
        libshp.so.1 => not found

>it should tell you something like:
>
>myhost.org:~$ ldd /usr/local/bin/xastir |grep libshp
>        libshp.so.1 => /usr/local/lib/libshp.so.1 (0x40a32000)
>
>then:
>
>myhost.org:~$ ls -l /usr/local/lib/libshp.so.1
>lrwxrwxrwx    1 root     root           15 Feb 27 15:11 /usr/local/lib/libshp.so.1 -> libshp.so.1.0.1*
>
>finally:
>
>myhost.org:~$ ls -l /usr/local/lib/libshp.so.1.0.1
>-rwxr-xr-x    1 root     root        74276 Feb 27 15:11 /usr/local/lib/libshp.so.1.0.1*
>
>If something like that last file isn't there, then shapelib probably didn't
>get built or installed correctly.  I'd probably try re-running the script
>and watching the output to see if that gives you any clues.  You can also
>read through the script to see what it is doing - there isn't too much
>there that is complicated.  Finally, if you look under
>xastir/tmp/shapelib-1.2.10 you'll see a README and a Makefile there - they
>should have some good information about building and installing shapelib.
>
>Finally, if none of this works, you can compile xastir without shapelib by
>giving configure the option:
>
> --without-shapelib
>
>See the README.Getting-Started for more information on configure options.
>
>Hope this helps.
>
>73,
>N8YSZ.

Thanks for any help. The whole idea is to get shapelib working so I can
have xastir working with portable maps rather than just the online
".geo" maps. I want to be able to use this in the field in SAR work
(Search and rescue). This is the only program that I have found that can
do the job. I have it up and running (without shapelib) on the other
PC's here all under Linux as that is all I use anymore. The idea would
be to find and install topographic maps for our juristiction and set up
a mobile base station. Then at least one member of each team in the
field would carry an HT with a GPS+radio+Tinytracker to give their
locations at programmed times. This would allow keeping track of the
teams locations. Would allow assuring complete coverage of search areas
and in the event of a casualty being able to dispatch to the exact
location where aid is needed.