[Xastir] Map Chooser Won't Reindex All Maps

Dan Brown brown at brauhaus.org
Thu Jun 2 09:01:31 EDT 2005

On Thu, 2 Jun 2005, Keith Kaiser wrote:

> This is very peculiar.
>  System - Mac OS/x Tiger (10.4.1)
> Xastir - V1.5.1
>  No matter how many times I tell Xastir to Reindex All Maps (RAM) it does
> not work. I have emptied the maps folder and put just one map in it, in a
> GIS folder. After doing a RAM, the Map Chooser shows various files including
> a GPS folder and an Online folder both of which have maps showing in them
> that do not exist anywhere on my machine
>  What I've done;
> 1) I have checked permissions on all xastir related files and folders ...
> they are all correct as far as I know what they should be, maybe another Mac
> user can send me what his say.
> 2) I have reinstalled Xastir
> 3) I have reinstalled all the files in /sw/share/xastir
> 4) I have done every Mac related trick I know including repairing disk
> permissions ... multiple times
> 5) I have checked for duplicate Xastir files, found none including invisible
> ones
>  All other Xastir functions work fine this is the only thing I can't get to
> work. Please be kind when you respond I'm not a Unix guru so if you say
> something like touch a file... give me the entry so I know what that is. Oh,
> I did touch Xastir in a number of place, it didn't help.
>  Any idea guys?

did you take a look at the files under ~/.xastir/config/ ?

There's a map_index.sys there, fwiw. Is a text file. I'd imagine it
would be best to shutdown xastir while you twink with it, of course.
If it were me, having the issues you describe, I think I might (re)move
that file and see what happens - also maybe run xastir with debugging
turned on (see DEBUG_LEVELS) and see if it gripes at all about being
able/unable to write that file.

FWIW, there's also a "locations.sys" file, under the ~/.xastir/config/ dir,
which stores your bookmarked locations - I've found it useful, especially
when using cached tigermaps, to have various zooms for my location stored
in the locations.sys file.  I wrote a script to add them into that file:

http://brauhaus.org/xastir/add_bookmarks.pl

Note that it checks for an xastir.pid file and will gripe if it finds one
-- useful only if the USE_PID_FILE_CHECK option is turned on, of course.
:-)

Finally, I've debated writing some C to make the bookmarks for "home" get
updated if/when your default location changes, but haven't gotten ye-olde
Round Tuit.

--
Dan Brown
brown at brauhausdc.org