[Xastir] Map Chooser Won't Reindex All Maps

Curt, WE7U archer at eskimo.com
Thu Jun 2 11:14:31 EDT 2005

On Thu, 2 Jun 2005, Keith Kaiser wrote:

>  No matter how many times I tell Xastir to Reindex All Maps (RAM) it does
> not work. I have emptied the maps folder and put just one map in it, in a
> GIS folder. After doing a RAM, the Map Chooser shows various files including
> a GPS folder and an Online folder both of which have maps showing in them
> that do not exist anywhere on my machine

>  Any idea guys?

I suspect you'll get several ideas.  Here's another of mine:

  a) Shut down Xastir
  b) "cd ~/.xastir/config"
  c) "rm selected_maps.sys map_index.sys"
  d) Start Xastir.  If it doesn't reindex maps on its own (I think
     it should in that case), do a manual reindex.

If that doesn't get rid of them, nothing will.  "map_index.sys" is
where Xastir keeps the important fast-lookup info about each map,
such as location, map extents, map layer, etc.  If that file is
missing Xastir will create a fresh index from scratch.

Yet another trick, might help some people with other problems:  If
Xastir is acting really goofy and you want to test Xastir with
default/clean config files, just like when you started Xastir for
the first time, do this:

  a) Shut down Xastir.
  b) "cd"   (makes sure you're in your home directory)
  c) "mv .xastir .xastir-save"
  d) Start Xastir.  It will see that it's user config directory is
     missing entirely and will create a new "~/.xastir" directory,
     populating it with default config files.

Later you can:

  Shut down Xastir
  "cd"
  "rm -rf .xastir"
  "mv .xastir-save .xastir"
  Start Xastir

in order to restore the original config directory.  By the way, be
just a bit careful with that "rm -rf" command, it's extremely
powerful and can remove every file on your system.  As shown above
it will remove the "~/.xastir" directory and all files/directories
beneath that.  Imagine doing it from the root directory...