[Xastir] debian and soundmodem

Marten Beels mbeels at yahoo.com
Sat Jun 4 11:51:32 EDT 2005

Hello, many thanks for helping me get Xastir up and
running with maps.  Now that I have all that working
properly, I'm trying to get Xastir to work with
soundmodem.  Here is what I have done:

apt-get install ax25-apps
apt-get install ax25-tools
apt-get install soundmodem

At first I had trouble because soundmodemconfig
wouldn't write the soundmodem.conf file.  So I did
this:

chmod 777 /etc/ax25

Now I have a soundmodem.conf file setup for KISS and
the /dev/soundmodem0 as the device.

With the diagnostic tool of soundmodemconfig I can see
the audio getting through with the scope and spectrum
tools.  However, the modem won't decode any packets.

When I start Xastir and go into the Interface Control
I select a Serial KISS TNC and /dev/soundmodem0 as the
device.  It says:

Device 0 DOWN Serial KISS TNC /dev/soundmodem0

and I get the following error:
Interface Error!  Error opening interface 0 Hard Fail

I've read that soundmodem needs to be started before
running Xastir, but I can't figure out how to start
soundmodem and verify that it is running.  There is no
/dev/soundmodem0.

Thanks for any help,

Marten
KC8HZM