[Xastir] debian and soundmodem

Curt Mills archer at eskimo.com
Sun Jun 5 04:24:11 EDT 2005

On Sat, 4 Jun 2005, Marten Beels wrote:

> With the diagnostic tool of soundmodemconfig I can see
> the audio getting through with the scope and spectrum
> tools.  However, the modem won't decode any packets.

There are diagnostic tools built-in to the soundmodemconfig program
that you can use.  Other than the scope.  Use those and a "mixer"
program to set your levels so that you get good decodes.  You'll
need to do that first before any program will be able to use it.

> When I start Xastir and go into the Interface Control
> I select a Serial KISS TNC and /dev/soundmodem0 as the
> device.  It says:
>
> Device 0 DOWN Serial KISS TNC /dev/soundmodem0
>
> and I get the following error:
> Interface Error!  Error opening interface 0 Hard Fail

Did you do the "chmod 4755 /usr/local/bin/xastir" thing?  If not,
did you add the user that you're running Xastir under to the group
that the /dev/soundmodem device is under, or did you open up the
permissions on the /dev/soundmodem device?

> I've read that soundmodem needs to be started before
> running Xastir, but I can't figure out how to start
> soundmodem and verify that it is running.  There is no
> /dev/soundmodem0.

As I recall you have to kill the soundmodemconfig program first,
then you need to start the device up, then start Xastir.  In SuSE I
have an /etc/init.d/soundmodem file.  I type "./soundmodem start" as
root and it starts up.  I can then add symlinks to the proper rc?.d
directories to get Linux to autostart/autostop the interface when I
boot or shutdown, or change runlevels.

--
Curt, WE7U.				archer at eskimo dot com
http://www.eskimo.com/~archer