[Xastir] xastir resetting path in D700

Tom Russo russo at bogodyn.org
Mon Jun 6 13:50:34 EDT 2005

On Mon, Jun 06, 2005 at 12:20:42PM -0500, we recorded a bogon-computron collision of the <xastir at bwm.us> flavor, containing:

> On Jun 6, 2005, at 11:42 AM, Curt, WE7U wrote:
>
> >On Mon, 6 Jun 2005, Bruce, KQ4TV wrote:
> >
> >>I have xastir 1.4.2 loaded on my Mac iBook and will occasionally hook
> >>it up to my D700 if I am driving to on of my digis to do some
> >>maintenance.
> >>Twice my wife complained that my location was not showing/updating
> >>properly on findu and when I looked at the PATH on the D700 it showed
> >>RELAY,WIDE. [...]
> >
> >  You might need to update your Xastir to make it use a
> >more modern path setting in that case.  Or, just put in at least one
> >path (out of the three) that has the path you like and it will
> >override the hard-coded value.
>
> I had WIDE2-2 set for Path 1 and it still set RELAY,WIDE as the path.
>
> When are the different Path 1, Path 2, Path 3 used?

Xastir cycles between them if more than one is set.

> I filled in all of the paths with Path 1 = WIDE1-1, Path 2 = WIDE2-1,
> and Path 3 = WIDE2-2 but when I logged out it reset the path to
> RELAY,WIDE on the D700.

That sounds an awful  lot like your D700 has RELAY,WIDE set in its APRS config.
The startup and shutdown scripts in xastir take your D700 out of APRS mode
and put it into PKT mode, then return it to normal function when you shut
down (taking pains to avoid the annoying OPENING TNC... lockup bug that the
D700 has when you turn off PKT mode in the middle of a GPS sentence).  If your
D700's APRS settings have RELAY,WIDE in the PACKET PATH menu, these will
simply be restored (by the D700) after Xastir exits and puts the thing back in
APRS mode.  Try setting that to so a better path (WIDE2-2 or WIDE1-1,WIDE2-1),
then see if it goes back to RELAY,WIDE after you start and stop Xastir.  I
bet it won't (mine doesn't).

Tijeras, NM  QRPL#1592 K2#398  SOC#236 AHTB#1
 "The only thing you can do easily is be wrong, and that's hardly
  worth the effort." -- Norton Juster