[Xastir] knoppix qemu

Wes Johnston wes at kd4rdb.com
Thu Mar 17 09:34:24 EST 2005

Don't knock it until you try it...

There are two versions of knoppix 3.8 floating around in bittorrent.  The 695meg
version does NOT contain QEMU.  The 699 meg version does.

You simply place the CD in the drive on your windows box, and it autoruns.  QEMU
window pops up and knoppix will appear Real Soon Now on your desktop.  The
problem is that it is very slow.  Very Slow.... but hey, it works.  This will
not be the cygwin killer b/c it's so very slow.  (did I mention it was slow?) I
booted it last night at 10:28pm and left it running thru the night.  This
morning before work I checked and the KDE taskbar clock said 11:06pm.  Problem
is, it was 8 hours later in real time.

I have remastered a copy of knoppix to include xastir (had to remove open office
and GIMP), I can easily remaster this Qemu version to autostart xastir as soon
as KDE loads.

And, yes, a dvd copy of knoppix with loads of maps would be nice.  I have had
difficulty getting two of my PCs to boot from DVD.  One is a toshiba laptop
with a DVD/CD drive, the other a PC with a 1st gen DVD recorder.  However the
idea of comandeering any PC or laptop for SAR use or EOC use is very appealing.
 The other thing that is very appealing about a CD based O/S is that when (not
if) someone screws something up, you just reboot the PC and no harm done.

You know, come to think of it, when you format your next windows load on your
laptop, create a linux swap partition of say, 2gigs so that when you do boot
from a knoppix CD it can auto find that swap partition and make use of it.

Wes