[Xastir] does Xastir work with Rascal interface?

Curt, WE7U archer at eskimo.com
Thu Mar 17 12:02:35 EST 2005

On Thu, 17 Mar 2005, Ronny Julian wrote:

> The soundmodem  driver and multi app interface sounds like the way to go.

Well, it's one way to go.  If you're running laptops that have sound
hardware and you wish to use that instead of a TNC.  The sound
hardware can be used for other things too though, like audio alerts,
festival speech synthesizer, playing MP3's, etc.  You may not want
to give up your sound hardware to use just for a TNC.

> Dream shot:
> 2 laptop portable stations.  Both running Rascal interfaces and some
> type of Linux OS.  I don't have a built in CD rom in either laptop but
> they do have PCMCIA type 2 ports.  I had though of getting a type 2 CDR
> drive for loading OS and maps.  Unless anyone knows a way to map over
> ethernet to a desktop box for instalation of  the OS and such?

I've loaded Linux from a Zip drive (Slackware ZipSlack
distribution), loaded it via ethernet and a set of boot floppies,
loaded it via CDROM, loaded it by yanking the 2.5" hard drive,
putting on adapters, and plugging it into a desktop PC.  Where
there's a will, there's a way.

> 1 home station on full time running both APRS and some type of I-Gate
> software.  I know nothing about the capabilities of an I-Gate but I
> don't mind sharing bandwidth if their are some cool apps.

Xastir does igating, or you can use AX.25 kernel networking ports
and run aprsd for igating, Digi_ned for digipeating, and Xastir all
at the same time.