[Xastir] Change to RELAY digipeat function

J. Lance Cotton joe at lightningflash.net
Wed May 4 09:48:49 EDT 2005

Jason Winningham wrote:
> On May 4, 2005, at 7:23 AM, Bennett, Joe wrote:
>> What you see via terminal mode is the
>> ASCII version. Therefore those types of interfaces
>> trying to handle an ACSII packet via an off board
>> means cannot support digipeating.
>
> What?  I can't do bit-level manipulation on a packet with a "standard"
> (non-KISS) TNC?  I can't craft the entire packet by hand (er, program)
> and send it over the air?

Correct. You can put the TNC in converse mode and construct a payload "by
hand", but you cannot construct the header you will need for acting as a
digipeater. You can set the "FROM" callsign. You can set the "TO" callsign.
You can set the list of digis (the "UNPROTO" string). But you can't set the
"digipeated" bit of any of the digis in the unproto string. These are the
bits that are represented by an asterisk in the ASCII version the TNC shows.
Putting an asterisk in the UNPROTO string will not have the same effect.

--
J. Lance Cotton, KJ5O
joe at lightningflash.net
http://kj5o.lightningflash.net
Three Step Plan: 1. Take over the world. 2. Get a lot of cookies. 3. Eat the
cookies.