[Xastir] Xastir 1.5.0 general questions

James Ewen jewen at shaw.ca
Sun May 15 23:46:32 EDT 2005

> 4:  Can we change the retry timing on the message
> sending somewhere in the config ? Its good to be
> able to do this .
> Sometimes our  network is configured for fast message
> turnaround and fast retries like 10 seconds are good but
> most of the time 20-30 seconds is best. Maybee Xastir
> works on some sort of decaying algorthym with this but I
> cant see just how as yet.

I can't help with the first 3 questions, but I know the answer here!

I don't believe you can change the message timing via a setting in config.

I do know how the timing works though, since I twisted Curt's arm about this
a couple months ago.
Message timing follows the standard APRS decay algorithm. The initial
message goes out immediately, and if not responded to, is followed by a
second try in 7 seconds. Each subsequent try is sent at double the last
spacing up to the max spacing, and then until the max tries.
 ie. 7,14,28,56,112,224,448,600,600,600,600,600

You can watch this happening on the message dialog. The message try number,
and spacing show up between the destination callsign and the message text.

05/15 21:24  VE6SRV-15>3 @ 28secs>test

The "3 @ 28secs" shows that the message has been attempted 3 times and is
currently delaying 28 seconds until the next attempt.

James
VE6SRV