[Xastir] Re: Xastir Digest, Vol 11, Issue 49

James Ewen jewen at shaw.ca
Mon May 30 20:20:03 EDT 2005

>startup and shutdown are for the .d700

This is good.

>TNC w/AUX GPS

Again, a good choice.

>TNC port -- well thats the question isn't it... lol

Port settings have to match the com port speed that the TM-D700 is set to.
Check menu 1-9-5. I have mine set to 9600 baud.

Port style is 8,N,1

>the rest is set by the startup file I guess
>
>Now what procedure do you use to start up, i.e.
>how is the D700 set when you first bring up Xastir,
>on .. off... in TNC APRS mode or TNC PKT
>mode or not in either.

The Kenwood D TM-D700 just needs to be ON with 144.390 on the A band...

The startup file will do the rest for you, putting the TNC into packet mode,
etc.

>I guess what I'm asking if it doesn't try your
>patience is in detail please, please tell me exactly
>how you are set up so I can mimic it here. My
>frustration level is getting very high so any
>feedback would be welcome.

It can be a little trying to get Xastir up and running, and it sounds like
USB just adds to the frustration. That's why a real serial port was one of
the "must-haves" when I got my laptop.

James
VE6SRV