[Xastir] D700 with Mac

Jason Winningham jdw at eng.uah.edu
Tue May 31 07:56:50 EDT 2005

> startup and shutdown are for the .d700

good.

> TNC w/AUX GPS

If you have a GPS on the D700, use this.  If you want to keep it simple
(or you have no GPS) use "Serial TNC".

> TNC port -- well thats the question isn't it... lol

That is the name of the device special file.   for my Keyspan, it's
"/dev/tty.USA28X822P2.2". (Note there's no "usb" in this device special
file name.)

> Now what procedure do you use to start up, i.e. how is the D700 set
> when you first bring up Xastir, on .. off... in TNC APRS mode or TNC
> PKT mode or not in either.

I think with the latest startup files it doesn't matter - xastir will
put it in packet mode for you.  Just make sure it's tuned to 144.390
(or your preferred testing frequency) on the data band.

>  What brand of usb/serial adapter are you
> using, I have three choices.. I have the Keyspay, I have an I/O Gear
> and I have a Micro Innovations, but only the Keyspan and I/O Gear seem
> to register with the iBook.

It doesn't matter as long as there are working drivers.  Here are some
common RS232 pitfalls:

No driver (or broken driver) for your USB/RS232 device.  For a quick
sanity check of your device and driver, use some terminal software (I
use Kermit) to connect to this serial device, then short pins 2 and 3
together (on the 9 pin serial connector) to perform a loopback test.
Any key you type should be echoed back.  If you don't see your typing,
something is wrong.  Note that if this does work, there still could be
issues with handshaking, etc, but it's a pretty decent test and fairly
easy to execute.

Bad cable: Make sure the cable is right.  The D700 connected to a
standard DB9 serial connector needs a straight through cable with at
least pins 2 3 and 5 connected.  This means that pin 2 on one end goes
to pin 2 on the other end, same for 3 and 5.  Just because the
connectors are such that the cable will plug in does _not_ mean that
the cable is wired correctly!  Note that the quick and dirty "short
pins 2 & 3 echo test" will _not_ tell you if the cable is right, since
the cable could be a null modem cable that swaps pins 2 and 3 and still
pass the loopback test.  If the cable says "APC" somewhere, it probably
won't work.  APC has some seriously screwball pinouts for their UPS
cables.

xastir to d700 is a fairly long chain (xastir, usb, usb/rs232 device,
usb/rs232 device driver, serial cable, d700).  If you're having
problems and the problem isn't obvious, I suggest some simpler tests
for the individual parts between xastir and the d700.

-Jason
kg4wsv