[Xastir] Upgrading Xastir?

Darryl Gibson n2diy at losch.net
Tue Aug 29 11:33:57 EDT 2006

hasan schiers wrote:

> I'm running Linspire 5.0, and it has some specific
> warnings about using "apt get" to install applications
> possibly breaking their "Click and Run" CNR auto download
> and install system that is built into Linspire.

It appears the danger is in mixing the use of apt-get and CNR.

> http://www.linspireguide.com/aptget

I don't "think" upgrading Xastir with apt-get would mess
with any of the core Debian files that Linspire uses, but
who can know in advance?

I was surprised to read that Linspire is based on Debian
Sid, the unstable release, that makes things a little dicier.

> Questions: (be patient with me, I'm very new to
> Linspire/Linux)
>
> 1. Precisely how do I upgrade Xastir? (I'm only using
> Tiger on-line maps)

The easiest way is with apt-get, at the risk of breaking
Linspire. If you want to take the risk, here is how I would
do it.

Uninstall Xastir with CNR.

Then apt-get install synaptic.

Synaptic is a GUI front end for apt-get.

Run Synaptic, select Xastir, cross your fingers, and tell
Synaptic to do its thing.

If everything works, your done.

> 2. How does the CVS system work, and would that be a
> better route to go (does it use apt get or what?)

I wouldn't recommend CVS to a newbie.

> I need VERY detailed instructions like:
>
> a. Download it from "this location", using "....."
> command syntax. b. Extract the file using ".....", and
> extract it to "......" c. Issue the following commands to
> compile.... (and any editing required of a makefile, if
> that's what it uses)

More than likely, you already have the instructions, check
the various README files in your current Xastir directory.
If you don't have them, they will be included in the new
download.

Good luck.

--
Darryl Gibson N2DIY
RLU X 182668/379552

“Arms are the only true badges of liberty. The possession of
arms is the distinction of a free man from a slave.”   --
Andrew Fletcher, A Discourse of Government with relation to
Militias (1698)