[Xastir] Upgrading Xastir?

James Ewen jewen at shaw.ca
Wed Aug 30 01:00:30 EDT 2006

>I wouldn't recommend CVS to a newbie.

CVS isn't very hard... getting a system configured to allow you to compile
can be.

>> I need VERY detailed instructions like:

Hasan, you have two options... use what you have and be happy with it, or
get ready to jump in with both feet. I tried doing what you are doing almost
a year ago. I turned my laptop into a Linux machine. I tried a number of
different flavours of Linux, and was extremely frustated in the end. If you
attempt to use an "easy to use" version of linux with a click-n-run system,
you'll only get what applications the developer has available.

With the fluid nature of Xastir (ie hourly updates) you will be stuck with a
version that is quite a few revisions back. Most of the ready-to-eat
versions of Linux don't include the ingredients needed to make your own
programs from scratch. You need to have a bunch of things like specific
libraries and also a compiler. These are all available, but it can be a task
gathering everything and getting it working.

However, if you do succeed in getting that all together and working, keeping
Xastir up to date is a snap. Xastir has a file that you call that does it
all for you. You just need to get things in place and working before you can
do that.

BTW, for your info I am back to running Xastir under Cygwin. The
instructions for Cygwin a absolutely perfect. Any idiot can follow them and
get things running. I'm living proof!

James
VE6SRV