[Xastir] Upgrading Xastir?

hasan schiers schiers at netins.net
Wed Aug 30 07:50:35 EDT 2006

James,

That is EXACTLY where I ended up. There are so many pitfalls to that first
setup and successful compile that the task is daunting. After that it looks
pretty easy. The problem being when one first attempts the compile it is
virtually certain there are going to be quite a few error messages for
required packages and missing pieces.

While I appreciate everything people have said,  (very instructional), I
think I'll wait until a friend who is a Linux guru, can come over and help
me through the errors that are bound to occur. Anything else looks to me to
be a disaster waiting to happen.

I'll look at Xastir under Cygwin...although I have 1.7.0 running just fine,
as well as digi_ned on my existing machine. I also have file and print
sharing working well. It seems strange that it would be so complicated to
upgrade Xastir the first time, but I do see what some of the problems are.
For now, I'll stay with 1.7.0 ...who knows maybe some kind soul will update
the Linspire CNR site with 1.8.x and then it will be easy again. I'd much
prefer doing it the standard way (as I don't like being held prisoner), but
that will have to wait for my buddy KB0JQO to come over for a day and walk
me through it.

Thanks so muc for your observations. 73

...hasan, N0AN