[Xastir] Crash and Restore

Curt, WE7U archer at eskimo.com
Mon Dec 4 09:44:29 EST 2006

Posting this back to the list.  Hope you don't mind.  Names deleted
to protect the innocent, in case you do...

> Yes, I'm keeping my eye on this work of yours.
>
> Debian based users will need Alien to convert the RPM to a .deb package,
> but it works, or did for me two years ago.
>
> And with all the cvs BS I'm going through, LSB looks like a good
> alternative, knock, knock.

You can certainly try the current stab at lsb-xastir, it's a tarball
but with bzip2 compression:

ftp://ftp.eskimo.com/u/a/archer/aprs/xastir/LSB/xastir-lsb.tar.bz2

It has most of the map libraries compiled in, and the current file
there has the segfault fix I just did.

If you have the lsb stuff installed so that you have at least
LSB-3.0 compliance on your Linux x86 box, you can install and run it
this way:

  su
  cd /
  tar xjvf PATH/xastir-lsb.tar.bz2
  exit
  /opt/lsb-xastir/bin/xastir &

All necessary libraries should be compiled in, but it may still
depend on a few external programs like wget, sed, etc.  As I
discover such things I'll try to fix up the LSB binary to
compensate.

I'm hoping to get help on the RPM packaging soon so that one will be
able to do this instead:

  su
  rpm -U PATH/xastir-lsb-1.8.5.rpm
  exit
  /opt/lsb-xastir/bin/xastir &

Or even this:

  su
  rpm -U ftp://ftp.eskimo.com/u/a/archer/aprs/xastir/LSB/xastir-lsb-1.8.5.rpm
  exit
  /opt/lsb-xastir/bin/xastir &

What I did on my laptop was install the LSB version but then delete
"/opt/lsb-xastir/share/xastir/" and replace it with a symlink to
"/usr/local/share/xastir".  This means that both my standard and my
LSB Xastir will share the same data & map directories.  I don't have
to duplicate my maps, NOAA weather alerts, FCC/RAC data files, etc,
but can still play with either Xastir version.