[Xastir] Setting up unproto paths in the UK

James Ewen jewen at shaw.ca
Wed Dec 6 09:51:58 EST 2006

On 12/6/06, Dave h <davekh at gmail.com> wrote:
> There seems a lot of info about but has anyone got some advice for a UK
> station please.
> I have looked around for information, but there's such a mixture of
> out-of-date, innapropriate to locality and other data about that knowing
> what to set the Unproto too isn't clear.
> So - for a UK user fixed station, with a local digi - what would people
> suggest I change, if anything?

Perhaps a little more info about what is currently supported in the UK
would help.

>From your info, can I assume RELAY, TRACEn-N and named stations are supported?

If so, and the UK network is implemented in a way that is similar to
the North American network, then you should not need to use RELAY in a
fixed station.

In North America, the APRS network consists of fixed high level
digipeater that support all current aliases. If an area requires a
fill-in digi to help low powered handheld or mobile stations to get to
the high level digis, then a home fill-in station is added. This used
to by RELAY in North America, but is now using the WIDE1-1 alias to
reduce ping-ponging packets.

We have an informal group throughout the Pacific Northwest, and
western Canada called NWAPRS www.nwaprs.info, where we discuss items
like this, as well as work at keeping up to date on the optimal
settings for APRS users and infrastructure.

Looking at packets from around the UK, it is difficult to know what is
happening around there... Long paths, and misconfigured stations seem
to abound. Having a group like the NWAPRS group allows us to keep in
touch, and try to help people get optimal use out of the APRS network.
We also have a reflector that we use to keep in touch. Is there such a
group in the UK?

James
VE6SRV