[Xastir] Xastir on SuSE 9.x

Curt Mills archer at eskimo.com
Thu Dec 14 19:25:40 EST 2006

On Thu, 14 Dec 2006, Tom Russo wrote:

> I recently noticed that a local ham put a new station on the air running
> Xastir 0.3.6-3.  I just wrote to him today asking why he was using such
> an old version, and he explained that he is running SuSE 9.3 and can't
> upgrade for whatever reason --- and the 0.3.6-3 version was the latest one he
> could find an RPM for with all the dependencies.
>
> Is there anyone here running SuSE 9.3 that could document the process for
> getting xastir built on such a system with a minimum of source-code
> installation?  I've already suggested that this fellow join the mailing list
> and ask here, but if he doesn't feel comfortable doing that I'd still like to
> help him get the info he needs.  Ideally, if someone knows how to do it,
> they could post to the Wiki under the "Installation Notes" section and I can
> just point him there.

Have him try the Xastir-LSB binary.  It's at:

    ftp://ftp.eskimo.com/u/a/archer/aprs/xastir/LSB

He should be able to install the "lsb" package that SuSE provides in
order to make his system LSB-3.0 compatible, then download and
install the binary at the above address and it should run.  He'll
probably have to start over with a new ~/.xastir/config/xastir.cnf
file though as everything gets installed to a new place.

--
Curt, WE7U.				archer at eskimo dot com
http://www.eskimo.com/~archer