[Xastir] Saved station tracklogs in shp format... another proposal.

Tom Russo russo at bogodyn.org
Fri Dec 15 01:55:56 EST 2006

I just noticed that when we save station tracks in xastir to shapefile,
it's creating a dbf file with almost no data attributes, and adding a
"_Red" to the file name.  Presumably, if one were to move the shapefiles
so stored into the GPS maps directory, that _Red would have made sure that
the station track would be displayed in the same hard-coded way that
the GPS tracks used to be when dbfawk wasn't enabled.

I think it's time to make the saved station tracks have more info in the
dbf file (e.g. callsign) and have the rendering controled by a dbfawk file.
To do this, though, I'll probably have to hack on the "create_shapefile_map"
function so it can be passed a name, change the dbf file output so it adds
an extra field ("Name"), and create a global dbfawk file that would render
the file so that the track is labeled with that name, and displays much as
it would if it had been moved to the GPS directory.

The global dbfawk file could always be copied to a per-file version to be
tweaked to display different colors, line styles, or widths.

If I do this, it shouldn't really have much effect on people who have
a stash of saved station track shapefiles --- it'd mostly effect how new
ones are created, and since the rendering would be controlled by the new
dbfawk file that wouldn't even be applied to old files, I don't see any
downside to this change.  Can anyone think of one?   If not, I might try to
do that Friday afternoon.