[Xastir] Ubuntu 6.06 Boostrap

Darryl Gibson n2diy at losch.net
Mon Nov 6 13:31:36 EST 2006

Curt, WE7U wrote:
> On Mon, 6 Nov 2006, Darryl Gibson wrote:
>
>> If that is all the editing I have to do, it is fairly painless, or am I
>> missing something?
>
> Taht should be about it.

It's done, and things look ok.

> Another thing you could do is copy the xastir.cnf file to some
> special filename that Xastir won't use, wipe out the current
> xastir.cnf file, and restart Xastir.  Xastir will create a brand-new
> config file and you can then set up Xstir in the way that you like.
> It'll be just like you never ran Xastir at all, from that
> perspective.

Yep, I remembered to do that, I renamed one of the backup files to
xastir.old.cnf.

> Another trick if someone is having extreme trouble with their
> configs is to remove the entire ~/.xastir directory tree and then
> restart Xastir.  Xastir will recreate all that it needs there.

I'll try and remember that too, but hopefully, I won't be needing to do
that.

> Of course with either of these you'll need to set up your callsign
> and your interfaces again.  That's why a backup of your earlier file
> is nice to have around to look at.

Not a problem at this stage of the game, all I've done so far is install
a couple of maps, and set up my coordinates, so there isn't a lot of
time invested in this install.

> Xastir also keeps up to 3 backups of your xastir.cnf file on-hand,
> which are the three most previous versions of your config file.
> Each time you manually click on the Save Configs Now! button or each
> time you close down Xastir, it'll renumber those files, discarding
> the oldest one, and save a new fresh config file.

Yep, I saw the back ups, and remembered you explaining there rotation
recently.

73

--
Darryl Gibson N2DIY
RLU X 182668/379552

“Arms are the only true badges of liberty. The possession of arms is the
distinction of a free man from a slave.”   --  Andrew Fletcher, A
Discourse of Government with relation to Militias (1698)