[Xastir] suse gdal

Jay Hurt n0xvb at hotmail.com
Sat Nov 11 00:26:18 EST 2006

>From: Tom Russo <russo at bogodyn.org>
>To: Jay Hurt <n0xvb at hotmail.com>
>CC: xastir at xastir.org
>Subject: Re: [Xastir] suse gdal
>Date: Fri, 10 Nov 2006 21:45:02 -0700
>
>On Fri, Nov 10, 2006 at 08:26:04PM -0700, we recorded a bogon-computron
>collision of the <n0xvb at hotmail.com> flavor, containing:
> > >From: Tom Russo <russo at bogodyn.org>
> > >To: Jay Hurt <n0xvb at hotmail.com>, xastir at xastir.org
> > >Subject: Re: [Xastir] Xastir Wiki
> > >Date: Mon, 6 Nov 2006 05:56:46 -0700
> > >
> > >But I see now that it's your version of GEOS generating the errors.
>Can't
> > >help
> > >you there.  You might try updating that before trying a more recent
>GDAL.
> > >You will need a more recent GDAL than 1.3.0, but that won't help if you
> > >still
> > >have a version of GEOS installed that has headers that won't compile
>with
> > >your compiler.
> > >

> > Tom,
> > Well, I download gdal 1.3.2 and re-compiled with the same errors.  I did
>it
> > again with the flag --with-geos=no and it went fine with no errors.
>
>Yep.  The errors you reported were all in GEOS headers, so you'd either
>need to compile without geos or with a more up-to-date geos.
>
> > I had
> > downloaded and installed the geos rpm from www.gdf-hannover.de.  I don't
> > think I had the matching geos-devel package so I'm going to try that out
> > too.
>
>Geos is a fairly simple package to build from source.  Try downloading it
>from
>http://geos.refractions.net
>
>It has no external library dependencies, and so should not be a real pain
>to build and install.
>
>The version of geos I have is 2.2.3, and it did not have the kinds of
>problems in the geom.h header that you reported (overqualified class
>members).  So your RPM must be older than that.
>
>--
>Tom Russo    KM5VY   SAR502   DM64ux          http://www.swcp.com/~russo/
>Tijeras, NM  QRPL#1592 K2#398  SOC#236 AHTB#1
>http://kevan.org/brain.cgi?DDTNM
>"And, isn't sanity really just a one-trick pony anyway? I mean all you get
>is
>  one trick, rational thinking, but when you're good and crazy, oooh, oooh,
>  oooh, the sky is the limit!"  --- The Tick

Hmm.  Well geos was at 2.2.1 so I downloaded and installed 2.2.3 from
source, no problems. I have gdal-1.3.2 compiling now, we'll see how it goes
this time through.

I sure hate package management tools and binary installs, this has been a
complete PITA.  Slack never gave me any problems, but then again I did
everything from source.  Doing my own package management is about a
bazillion times easier!

Jay
73 de N0XVB
"If you think dogs can't count, try putting three dog biscuits in your
pocket and then giving Fido only two of them."  Phil Pastoret
Hardware, n:  the parts of a computer system that can be repaired with a
hammer.