[Xastir] shape lib problems

Jeremy Utley jerutley at gmail.com
Tue Nov 14 23:25:25 EST 2006

On 11/14/06, vic <ke4lkq at doramefa.us> wrote:

> >From previous posts I gathered that Xastir was to be MODULAR in nature.. for lack of a better word..just now do not see the reason to include shape lib into the main build, if that's what it is called.  For new users just does not justify it to me unless ALL the bells and whistles are included also. ax25 networking, gps, etc. just to name two...

The main reason for including shapelib by default is so we can have a
shapelib-based map come up right from the very start.  Think about how
many times we've had someone come on list after their initial
installation, saying they have this great big grey screen with some
blue lines and nothing else?  Now, we can have a shapefile map of the
world appear.  Just one more step on the road.

A lot of the "extras" may not be able to be included as part of the
download - license incompatibilities play a big part in just what we
can include.

> You guys ARE doing a great job... just my 2 cents worth after having being preached to on this list about haveing everything
> seperated alltogether to begin with...
> Again I apologize if I upset any one else but myself...
> Vic

Your original post did come across in a bad way, at least to me.
Thanks for apologizing.

Jeremy, NW7JU