[Xastir] A problem decoding PHG...

Tom Russo russo at bogodyn.org
Wed Nov 15 23:15:28 EST 2006

On Wed, Nov 15, 2006 at 11:05:58PM -0500, we recorded a bogon-computron collision of the <kf4otn at ericsatcom.net> flavor, containing:
> Okay.  So there shouldn't be a PHG statement at the end of the weather
> data?  That is interesting.  I know that UIView doesn't integrate the
> PHG in like Xastir does so John (KE4TZN) was simply putting the PHG
> statement in the comment portion of the station ID so it would be in there.

Ah.  Well it's certainly wrong just to bung it into the comment field.  The
PHG data belongs in a specific place in the information field; specifically
PHG belongs in the "Data Extension" field, right after the symbol code in byte
28 of the packet, according to the spec.  No spec-compliant software should be
decoding it from the comment field.

> I wonder if there is a way to modify the spec to include these
> situations?

Sigh.  The spec is pretty well ossified, although there are a large number
of "errata" out there on Bob B's web site.  You could always ask on APRSSIG, I
guess, but let us know when you before you do so --- I, for one, need to
order a new asbestos suit before reading any subsequent traffic over there.

> If a digipeater were setup to also be a weather station
> you'd definitely want to know the approximate coverage area.

Yep.  Such a digi should be transmitting extra packets with a station
comment (containing a canonical set of information to show its capabilities)
and PHG info.  It is not enough for it to just burp weather info.  This is
usually done by programming a set of beacon strings into its TNC to be
sent out at infrequent intervals.