[Xastir] Mac Weather Station & Xastir Inquiry

Tom Russo russo at bogodyn.org
Wed Nov 29 23:03:43 EST 2006

On Wed, Nov 29, 2006 at 08:39:05PM -0700, we recorded a bogon-computron collision of the <kc7zru at kc7zru.net> flavor, containing:
> Hey Chip,
>
> I'm running a LeCrosse WS-2317. It's talking to both Xastir via the
> open2300db2APRS tool and the Open2300 PHP based software.
> http://www.lavrsen.dk/twiki/bin/view/Open2300/WebHome
>

> You can see some results at either:
> http://kc7zru.net/2300
> and/or
> http://map.findu.com/kc7zru
>
> Beware though - the WS-2317 is cheap. Not just inexpensive, but cheap.
> Ranges are limited, accuracy is questionable and no wind gusts. But, it
> is inexpensive. Got my setup for under $100 new.

Seconded.  It's toy-quality electronics.

The hygrometer is worthless at any extreme values --- below about 20% RH
and above about 90% or thereabouts.  Since it's almost always below 20%RH
around these parts, the MADIS data quality reports always show my dewpoint
readings as having unacceptable error.

On top of that, my WS-2317 stopped counting rain after only a few months ---
a few days after New Mexico began receiving its biggest extended period of
rainfall in years.  The sensor itself (which is just a magnet and reed switch
with a little pair of buckets on a see-saw) works fine, but the actual
temperature/hygro unit simply stopped counting the switch closures.  And all
that lovely rainfall went unmeasured after only 5 inches fell over the span of
a few days.

As soon as one of the other sensors stops working, I'll replace the whole
thing with a brand/model that gives value for the money.

AFAIC, I'll never recommend that anyone with more than casual interest in
setting up a weather station go anywhere near a LaCrosse station.