[Xastir] Compiling from source error

Dan Brown brown at brauhaus.org
Tue Oct 24 22:35:40 EDT 2006

On Tue, 24 Oct 2006, Stephen Brown Jr wrote:

> Well I'm still fighting an uphill battle, I downloaded the latest
> STABLE release from CVS and it is still failing without imagemagic
> support, however, I did manage to get Imagemagick installed and it
> compiled correctly after that.
>
> I now have a new set of problems which are related to the app itself
> (I think). When it comes up, I get a lot of messages in the terminal
> window that look like this:
>
> Warning:
>     Name: create_appshell text_output
>     Class: XmTextField
>     Character '\114' not supported in font.  Discarded.
>
> My biggest problem is that when I go to file->configure->station to
> set things up, it doesn't appear to be saving any of my information. I
> did select save config now as well and it didn't make a difference.
> Also for whatever reason, I can not get the symbol I selected to show
> up either.
>
> I am really lost/frustrated at this point, but I am determined to get
> this compiled from source as I want this to be a learning experience,
> so any help will certainly be appreciated :)

These are actually save to ignor, but, from the FAQ:

 4.13 Why do I see "Character '\55' not supported in font"?

    This message and similar have to do with localization and OpenMotif/
    Lesstif.  For most of us this is a benign message and can be ignored.
    If you simply can't stand it any more set LANG="C" or LANG="en_US".  In
    RH 9 the default LANG is set to en_US.UTF-8 and this is where the warnings
    are coming from.

    A quick way to address this on RedHat 8 and 9 is to edit your
    /etc/sysconfig/i18n config file.  I believe the original file looks
    like:

    LANG="en_US.UTF-8"
    SUPPORTED="en_US.UTF-8:en_US:en"
    SYSFONT="latarcyrheb-sun16"

    Change the "LANG=" line to:

    LANG="en_US"

    and reboot.

    With the original setting you get some weird character mappings.  For
    example, running "man ls", all of the dashes (-) disappeared from my
    screen until I changed the LANG setting.

The FAQ may not sound quite like what you've got - different versions of Linux
are mentioned, as is a different character -- but the fix is accurate.

You can even just do, on a command line:

LANG=C xastir

and the messages should go away.

73,
N8YSZ.