[Xastir] Uptime: 160 days

Curt, WE7U archer at eskimo.com
Wed Oct 25 13:04:03 EDT 2006

On Wed, 25 Oct 2006, Andreas Junge, N6NU wrote:

> What I need now are commands that I can send to xastir to pan and zoom
> and snapshot on demand. Then my web remote control is complete :-)

One of the developers was interested in doing just that at one time,
but he got busy on other things and I haven't heard a peep out of
him about it for a few years now.

If you have any coding skills, or can con someone else into doing it
for you, we'd be happy to entertain patches to do just that.
Security would be a bit of a concern though as we don't want just
anyone controlling people's screens.  Probably a tie-in to a Unix
signal would work, with perhaps a special place to read the command
from when Xastir gets a signal.  pthreads already take up one
signal on Linux, plus snapshots on demand take up another.  Yes, we
do have snapshots on demand already!

Cross-platform compatibility would be another concern.  We try to
implement features so that they work across-the-board, but are not
always successful.  Perhaps signals wouldn't be a good way to do it
as they're already kind'a overloaded.  Maybe additional parsing on
the UDP socket for remote commands with some sort of authenticity
check?