[Xastir] Anyone know about this: GeoServer

Curt, WE7U archer at eskimo.com
Wed Sep 6 16:19:03 EDT 2006

On Wed, 6 Sep 2006, Curt, WE7U wrote:

> On Wed, 6 Sep 2006, Jason Winningham wrote:
>
> > So, we'd use WMS to draw maps, GeoServer to display the data on the
> > maps, and xastir would be glue and UI front-end?
> >
> > Just trying to understand how these would fit together...
>
> Start up GeoServer.  Xastir requests maps from GeoServer via WMS (in
> a .geo file), GeoServer then goes out to GoogleMaps, snags the data,
> creates a .PNG image, and feeds it to Xastir.
>
> Something like that.  We have WMS support in Xastir already, and
> I've played with it a bit.  You just create a .geo file describes
> the server URL and the layers you want to snag from it.

Maybe somebody else can tell me if I got it kind'a right.  I'm
hoping it's not that you're still using the GoogleMaps API from a
web page and having GoogleMaps merge the WMS data together.  I
_think_ it's the GeoServer WMS server that is doing the GoogleMaps
request and then layering other data on top of it:

    <http://docs.codehaus.org/display/GEOSDOC/Google+Maps>

Perhaps someone can investigate whether putting up a WMS server to
snag GoogleMaps data, for other people to use, would violate the
GoogleMaps terms of service or licensing.  If not, someone or
someones could put up WMS servers and let us know the addresses,
then we could produce .geo files for Xastir to use them.

I'm still waiting on my Google contact to see if the licensing for
GoogleMaps has changed, but it sure looks like it has to me.