[Xastir] Fishers Island Mystery

Chip G. n1mie at myeastern.com
Mon Sep 18 13:30:55 EDT 2006

On Sep 18, 2006, at 13:15, Curt, WE7U wrote:

> On Mon, 18 Sep 2006, Chip G. wrote:
>
>> Please do me a favor. Select "Center & Zoom" from the "Map" menu.
>> Enter the following:
>>
>> Latitude:   41.27251
>> Longitude:  -71.9819
>> Zoom Level: 125
>>
>> Then click "Activate". What do you see? Now change "Zoom Level" to
>> 70 and click "Activate". Now what do you see?
>>
>> How do I fix this problem?
>>
>> On one machine this occurs between 92/93, on another at 86/87, the
>> third 100/110.
>
> Exactly what problem are you referring to?  I can think of a couple
> here, both of which are known.
>
> You're at a UTM zone boundary, so terraserver will only give you
> one side or the other as far as maps.
>
> Again, you're at a UTM zone boundary, so if you have the map grid
> displayed and you're in UTM or MGRS coordinate systems you'll see
> map grid drawing bugs associated with crossing that line.
>
> Which is it you're seeing?

Actually what I'm seeing is a disappearing island. At a higher zoom
level I can see Fishers Island, at a lower zoom level it disappears
(roads, airports, parts, boundaries, everything). When I zoom way
down (so I can't see anything of CT, only FI, it's still gone). I
never have on the map grid, so I know nothing of any grid bugs.

-- Chip