[Xastir] Serial GPS support in Xastir built from Darwin Ports?

Bernard Michael Tyers bernard.tyers at gmail.com
Fri Apr 27 15:24:40 EDT 2007

Hi Curt,

Thanks for the reply.

On 27/04/07, Curt, WE7U <archer at eskimo.com> wrote:
> On Fri, 27 Apr 2007, Bernard Michael Tyers wrote:
>
> > which doesn't really tell me about GPS support. So I am guessing it doesn't.
>
> GPS Support in terms of download waypoints/tracks/routes from your
> GPS, or GPS Support in terms of decoding NMEA sentences?

Um, I guess the former. Really all I want from the GPS is it to tell
Xastir where I am. I am not (too) worried about waypoints at the mo'.

> The latter is in there by default.  The former requires that GPSMan
> be available when Xastir was configured/compiled.

Aha, yes. I didn't see it in the config from DarwinPorts. I guess I
can build it in with http://gpsd.darwinports.com/ ?

You can check for
> the former one in the code by checking whether the "Fetch GPS Track"
> and similar options are available in your "Interface" menu.

No, I don't see that there. All I see is:

Interface Control
Disable Transmit: ALL
Disable Transmit:  My position
Disable Transmit: Object /Items
Enable Server Ports
Transmit Now!

> > Can anyone point me in the direction of how to get support for my
> > serial GPS (connected via a Keyspan Serial-USB converter). Its a
> > Garmin eTrex model (the old yellow cased, monochrome display).
>
> Interface->Interface Control->Add->Serial GPS

Ok, so I connected my GPS, found it was sdevice:

/dev/tty.KeySerial1

Enabled it in Interfaces menu, and Xastir hung saying "waiting for
GPS". So I guess I gotta go build gpsd?!

thanks
bernard